Challenge: Make the Most of the Holiday Season
The end of the calendar year marks the most important fundraising season for nonprofits because donors infused with the holiday spirit are more inclined to give. During this time, nonprofits compete at a furious pace for share of mind and wallet, working to generate more revenue than the previous year. How can an organization ensure that its message is heard above the clamor?
Approach: Cut Through the Noise With a Multi-Channel Campaign
During the overcrowded fundraising season, maximizing impressions is critical. To accomplish that, THD developed a robust, multi-channel year-end fundraising campaign for a large national voluntary health services client that broke through the "noise." The campaign included:
- Direct mail: As the primary revenue driver for this client, multiple waves of direct mail were central to the creative strategy and supported by email sent to direct mail recipients and the broader e-constituency.
- Email: A strategically segmented e-constituent audience played a key role. Based on results from prior testing, we interspersed educational and awareness-generating content among solicitations to build a strong case for support.
- Custom donation landing pages: Branded, campaign-specific donation pages reflected learnings attained through year-long testing.
- Paid search: A paid search campaign was updated to include references to year-end donations, tax exemptions, and the specific fundraising offer.
Results: Surpassed Goals for Revenue and Giving
- Exceeded overall revenue goal by 39% and generated the highest amount of online revenue by the organization
- Additional 4% revenue was received from forwarded emails
- Incremental gifts came in from the sustainer audience
- E-constituents contributed as much revenue through the general donation forms and interstitial page as through email, effectively doubling their value from the prior year