Challenge: Increase Number of Sustainers
Nonprofits are well aware of how valuable monthly donors are to their organizations – but they also know how challenging it can be to convert donors to ongoing, monthly sustainers. How can they cost-effectively reach those most likely to convert?
One THD client had been relying on acquiring monthly donors through “soft ask” messaging on inserts, annual email appeals, and a monthly giving option on its general online donation form – all passive asks. THD developed a program aimed at converting active donors to monthly givers through a variety of offers, channels, and touch points, all concentrated within a targeted time frame.
Approach: Implement a Targeted Donor Drive
THD created a month-long, multi-channel donor drive campaign to launch in January, one of the strongest months of the year for this client. Our strategy was to motivate constituents to begin the New Year with a sustained commitment to the organization. Multi-channel efforts included:
- A homepage banner on the organization's website and custom landing pages
- Emails to active donors focused on sustainer program education
- “Sharable” appeals that could be amplified though social networks
- E-newsletter promotions/callouts
- 3rd party pay-for-performance monthly donor acquisition campaign
- Monthly giving prompt incorporated into backer for all direct mail pieces
Results: Program Growth of 36%
- The multi-channel campaign grew the program by 36%
- Digital acquisition campaign drove 75% of the new donors
- Exceeded industry standard open rates by 20%